Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/robot578/public_html/smf/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
July 2007 Forum Update

Author Topic: July 2007 Forum Update  (Read 2097 times)

Dan L

• Team Member
  • UberGeek
  • Steal from the best, and invent the rest!
    • View Profile
July 2007 Forum Update
« on: August 01, 2007, 12:16:51 AM »
Alright, I would appreciate it if someone would email this out to the Yahoo! Group for me because I don't ever use it and am not familiar with the interface. Second, you will notice that this is now posted in the announcements room, this is so that it will be easier to find than before for the newcomers. If anyone wishes me to move it elsewhere, admins/mods can post here letting me know so, or normal members with concerns can pm me.

Now then, that aside...

JULY 2007 FORUM UPDATE
From Mic_128, a.k.a. Dan Lavoie
note: In chronological order by forum room

GENERAL DISCUSSIONS

4th of July Parade- Here we basically planned for the 4th of July parade, as well as the trailer decoration. We also commented on how it went afterwards.

Robotics Classes...- Dan Linford, a former team member attending the U of R, has held classes for the robotics members where he taught them various subjects in math and science that were more advanced than the standard curriculum. This was well received and everyone who attended enjoyed it. He is now planning on starting some more classes this fall, during the preseason. I will continue to update summaries for this thread as more information comes out in the next month.

Biking- Some of you remember how some members went biking a while ago, well they biked again, and are currently trying to plan a third trip. The dates that have been suggested are for the week of August 7-14, sans the 11-12 due to LARPing.

Robotics Team Bowling- When: August 6th, 4 PM. Where- AMF Fairview Lanes. Whole team is invited. If you have any sorts of coupons for free games or whatnot, bring them!

MEDIA

The Site- We have been ranked at 7th visited site overall, and 3rd in teams, for practically the whole month now. Continue to visit and give us hits!

Software?- Media team is in the process of working with Mr. Breese to order new software. Edit: Media team will likely be using NVU, an open source website toolkit similar to Frontpage. Discussed with Geni and Mr. Breese.

IDEADAWGS BOARD

Cardboard Boat teambuilding activity- This was discussed at the team meeting, and we also discussed it a bit on the forums.

May 7th, 2008 (05/07/08)- Larry had an idea that we should do something roboticsy on this day since it is a once-in-a-lifetime kind of thing.

Robotics FHS Photo Hallway- Again, something we discussed at the meeting, either a mural or photos to be placed in one of the FHS hallways. Need to talk to supervisors first though.

Strong Museum- We have been considering trying for a demo at Strong Museum, possibly right around ship date.

Construction Team- Tony's proposal for the possible Construction Subteam.

My Scouting Subteam Proposal- My own idea for the possible Scouting Subteam.

Visit to local Boy Scout troop- This was discussed at the team meeting, possibly demoing for a boy scout troop in the fall. There haven't been any updates on it since.

Visit to Girl Scout Troop- a similar idea to do a demo for one or more local girl scout troops.

Library demonstration- This thread has evolved into two things- discussing actually performing a demo, possibly next summer, and obtaining the display case, possibly for around March (regional time).

PRIVATE DISCUSSIONS

Team Startup at McQuaid- Our team is working with Chris Matthew to set up a robotics team at McQuaid Boys School.

Sponsorship- Discussing possible sponsors for the team.

Recruiting 2008- Always a touchy subject, but our members have been discussing different methods of recruiting for next year .

Fun Quotes from the 2007 season- Whee! Random funny quotes that our members have spoken! Post your favorites!

Can Drive- discussing how to raise money by collecting cans/bottles, and how to carry them around, and who to contact to get this approved.

Fairport and Brockport... Combined?- A secret from our team's hidden past, the robotics team's nonexistent records for the 2001-2002 season may be in part because team 578 was actually stationed at Brockport HS in those years. Interesting...

OTHER

Harry Potter- Normally I recommend new users steer clear of this room, but if anyone is interested in discussing the new book or the series you can do it here.

SCOUTING

Speculation for next year's game- post your thoughts- The team working to try and predict the next year's game, as it has reportedly been done.

That's all there is, there is your monthly update for what has been going on in the forums that you need to know about. Mic_128, over and out!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 10:20:58 PM by Gianno »
Dan Lavoie - 2010 alumnus and 2012 mentor

sovereign

• Team Member
  • Geek
  • Doesn't know what to put here anymore.
    • View Profile
Re: July 2007 Forum Update
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 11:05:33 AM »
I sent the email. It's actually very simple Dan. Just have the Fairport First YahooGroup email be who you're sending it to.
Patrick Morabito
Former Lame Duck Präsident Extraordinaire

Dan L

• Team Member
  • UberGeek
  • Steal from the best, and invent the rest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 01:13:47 PM »
Yeah, but I have only replied to those emails, and only done so once. "Fairportfirst" isn't actually a contact for my email account. So I still don't really know how to do it. Thanks for sending the email though  :D
Dan Lavoie - 2010 alumnus and 2012 mentor

sovereign

• Team Member
  • Geek
  • Doesn't know what to put here anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 01:16:05 PM »
The email is fairportfirst@yahoogroups.com 
That's all you need. If you send it there, it goes to the team. Simple as that.
Patrick Morabito
Former Lame Duck Präsident Extraordinaire