Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/robot578/public_html/smf/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Correct Terminology of FIRST

Author Topic: Correct Terminology of FIRST  (Read 1030 times)

Carly B

• Team Member
  • UberGeek
  • Watching you
    • View Profile
Correct Terminology of FIRST
« on: September 11, 2010, 04:49:25 PM »
I think this has been posted before possibly, and buried, but anyone who might have read it has probably left the team by now. Therefore I am posting this for you newer ones. Especially those of you making Powerpoints and flyers and writing essays.

Greetings,
Response to the homework assignment has been phenomenal. In a very few instances, names of FIRST programs have not been used exactly as they are intended. Here are FIRST's preferred, recommended, and requested ways to refer to our programs:

The organization is FIRST, For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology, often referred to as FIRST, or FIRST (without italics). We try always to use italics. You are not "required" to do so.

FIRST's original program is called the FIRST Robotics Competition. We do not refer to it or the organization as "FIRST Robotics." In writing, we will provide the full name, then the acronym, and then refer to the program later in the copy as "FRC." Example: FIRST Robotics Competition (FRC).

Next, FIRST created the FIRST LEGO League (FLL), which we NEVER EVER refer to as "LEGO League." Also, just FYI, when you have two LEGO bricks, you say "I have two LEGO," not "I have two LEGOs."

Hope that helps. Thanks for all your fabulous work and contributions.

John
-Lead Outreach Mentor, FRA Head, 2010 alumnus, 2010 FLR Dean's List Finalist, and all that other good stuff